Friday, January 7, 2011

38 Weeks


We are ready and waiting, somewhat patiently, for the arrival of Baby Lewis #2.

I have completed all the things on my personal list that I wanted to do before the baby got here. Which were: maternity photos, created a belly cast (as seen in the photo; it still needs to be sanded and painted), read all the books I wanted to about home birth and natural birth, keep a journal of the pregnancy, start writing a book, create a video documentary (still in progress), created a birth plan and emailed it to everyone who is going to be involved, and the list goes on. I am very pleased with my personal success during this pregnancy.

I had my 38 week appointment with my midwife on Wednesday and everything is going great. She said that the baby has dropped and it is in the optimal alignment for birthing. She also seems to think that I will go to full term. Which means I will have to wait another 2 weeks or so before the baby decides to make an appearance. Have I mentioned that I have not had a single person try to look up my parts during this whole pregnancy. Oh my heavens it has been awesome! Seriously, just that fact alone is enough to convince me to use a home birth midwife over a medicalized hospital birth. If I were seeing a mainstream OB I would have been poked and prodded like a cow a hundred times by now. I have had no unnecessary testing, no needles for blood draws, no stress about "what could go wrong" or "just in case" medications. This pregnancy experience has been awesome! The freedom and peace of mind that a midwife can give is out of this world.

I feel great. There is really nothing for me to complain about. I do have a little difficulty getting around just because of my size, but that is normal at this stage. I am sleeping fine thanks to Jeni who gave me the most awesome pregnancy pillow!

Steve is going to help me do one more set of photos before the baby gets here so we have photo records of how big I have gotten.

Jacob is still excited about the whole thing. He has started to ask "When is the baby going to come out". He wants me to be able to give him an exact date. I wish I could but that is not how natural birth works. He is being very patient. He is also finally heavy enough to help me get off the sofa. If I hold his hands and he falls backwards his body weight is enough to pull me forward. It's pretty funny to watch, but it is helpful when no other adults are around. :)

My next blog should be about the birth, unless I get frisky and add a post about the baby shower, which is tomorrow!

For now I am just waiting .....

1 comment:

Sheridy said...

I love the beely cast thing. I wish I would have thought about something like that. Maybe if I have another one. ( don't count on it though) I'm so glad hat you have totally enjoyed this pregnancy and have accomplished everything that you have set out to do. Have an awesome baby shower! I hope you get lots of good loot. Love ya and good luck!