Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Fresh From the Garden


My very good friend, Anaise, was generous and shared some of her garden harvest with us last week. The beautiful and perfectly shaped tomatoes and green pepper came from her own backyard garden. The beans, lettuce and radishes came from an organic coop that she is a member of.

Another very good friend of mine, Missey, was over for dinner that night. She handwashed the lettuce, snapped the beans and trimmed the radishes. The whole time she was raving about the color, shape and smell of each item.
When dinner was served our conversation was focused on how wonderful this salad was. I had prepared a very nice creamy potato soup to accompany the salad, however the salad took center stage.
This meal was a very delicious reminder of why I love to eat organic home grown foods. The flavors, smells and visual effects are just wonderful. Foods grown in your own garden ... or a friends ... have so much more flavor then anything you can buy in the store. That is my opinion anyway.
Jacob loved the "Green", that is what we call green peppers, and he ate a whole one by himself. He tried the radishes and said they where to spicy. He was tolerant of the beans and ate about four of them. He ignored the lettuce and tomatoes. I guess he just wasn't in the mood for those that night.
Steve enjoyed the salad as well and agreed with me when I mentioned that even the lettuce and a unique flavor and how much it added to the whole dish compared to Iceburg varities.
Thank you to Anaise for sharing these great foods with us. Thank you to Missey for taking the time to properly care for and prepare the foods. And I thank myself for eating them :)!

1 comment:

Anaise said...

Yummy! Food is so gooooood!