Thursday, December 4, 2008

Reason #101 Why I love the Winter Holidays – LEFTOVERS

This Thanksgiving we spent with Steve’s family at his parent’s house. It was great to see everyone and watch the kids play. I did make the homemade marshmallows for the candied yams and they were delicious again. My only regret was that I didn’t use more of them. “Tom” the turkey was juicy and perfectly browned. Trina, our niece-in-law (please forgive me if I misspelled your name) made wonderful little spinach stuffing balls. We all over indulged ourselves as tradition dictates that we should. Being one who loves photos I of course documented the meal with my camera as I do every year.

Jacob decided he wanted to work off some of the calories from dinner and jumped on the stationary bike for a while.



It is inevitable that at some point Steve will be in front of a computer with his parents.


My mom stayed home and smoked a turkey using the outdoor grill in a true Kansas City fashion. It turned out awesome. She was proud of herself and we were pleased to return home from Steve’s parents with all of our leftovers and add them to hers.

We are in leftover heaven. In order to preserve the culinary delights that came from this Thanksgiving holiday we have carefully prepared and frozen several stocks and packets of meat for future meals.

A few nights after the holiday my mother took my made-from-scratch bread stuffing and combined some of her smoked turkey for our dinner that night. She added a few more spices and some stock to liven things up a bit. It was fantastic and super simple because it was from leftovers.


I think that one of my new years resolutions this year will be to prepare more holiday style meals during non holiday times. There are 365 days in each year, why should we only eat well for 30 or so of them.

I hope everyone had a Great Thanksgiving!! I’m excited to start preparing for Christmas!!

1 comment:

Anaise said...

Your food photos are mouth-watering! I love leftovers, too. We (being the large family we are) are almost through ours, but boy, do I enjoy them while they last!